28 September 2009

Sectionals Recap 2

Hopefully I start to remember more of the weekend while I write this, but who knows.
Unfortunately for us, 5 Ultimate was not able to get our jerseys to us in time for the tournament so that kind of sucked. But we have them now, so no worries.

We started off the day against Get That Fly, a group of older guys from LA. We win 13-6.

Our second game of the day was against the Long Beach team Little Giants. We played a scrimmage against them the weekend before where we won 11-6. It was a fun game. Ed got a few big Ds on Reggie that kind of surprised me. We won 13-2 going away.
Up to this point I think I had played a total of 4 points. I was sick or hungover or both. (It was Iris's birthday the night before.) Anyways.

Third and last game of the day was against SD Streetgang. I know I said before that we didn't really have a legitimate shot at this game, but boy was I wrong. We came out firing on all cylinders trading to 5s I think. Our D line was getting at least a block a point, we just couldn't punch in the break. We finally get a break before half to go up 6-5 (I think?) It is a bit fuzzy. We get the disc again to take half. Tommy bombs a backhand huck to KG super open streaking deep (I was the closest guy to him) but it gets called back on a travel call. We turn it. They break twice to take half 7-6. After half they started throwing zone a lot to mix us up a little. I think they got maybe 1 D on us the entire game, the rest of our turns were mental mistakes (throwing while not set, drops, etc.) Gordy, Tommy, and Bishop in the backfield were shredding through their zone. Anyways. They went up a few breaks in the second half. up 9-11 game to 13. We trade downwind with two hucks to Jake who skies Dollar without jumping. Cash in an upwind break (also to Jake.) I think they broke back. We pull on game point 10-12 and they win with a huck to a wide open Kory. GG Streetgang. We put up a solid showing though. This game reminded me a lot of the Strike-Slip game we had at Chico. Partly because we came out so strong and really played to our potential (almost) and partly because I'm pretty sure they thought we were just going to roll over. Hopefully we get another shot at them at Regionals. Would love to play spoiler.

So we played 3 games then we were done for the day. Pretty nice schedule for us. I spent the rest of the day watching mixed. Heckled the Metro-BCBC pool play game with most of SS. Watched Metro almost throw it away (won on universe.) There are a lot of turns in the mixed game. But it was nice to watch Metro pull it out.

So. Day 2.

Our entire pool got a first round bye, but I showed up a bit early to watch SS play a bit. Seduction was up first on Sunday. They were definitely underseeded (10th overall) and I didn't want anyone to take them too lightly. They are a mix of UCSD and SDSU kids that got cut from Streetgang (analogous to the Monster/SS relationship, but we picked up a lot of extra talent.) They had a few too many throwaways, and Matt had some sick grabs. We won 13-5.

Last pool play game was against ACR. Mix of SLO, Redlands, and APU kids. The score says 13-7, but I don't remember it being that close at all. They came up with some lucky second chance grabs in the endzone I guess.

So, a 4-1 record in pool play set us up against the Condors. They have had a serious drop off in talent from last year. They lost all the LA people to Strike-Slip, Welsh to Metro, Paymaster to Johnny Bravo, Dugan to the Beyondors, Hester to JAM, and Whit and KVB to Revolver. So yea, they lost a LOT of talent, but they bolstered their numbers with a lot of UCSB kiddies fresh off a Nationals run (plus The Arbiter from UCLA.) I think we were tired by this point, and we didn't come out with the fire we did against Streetgang. We traded the first few points, but it just didnt feel the same. We lost 9-15. I double scored twice (both from Tommy), one point Tommy actually quadruple scored (got called back each time.)

Last game of the tournament we played Seduction again in the 4/5 game. We lost Ed at the beginning of the game because he had to go to some family function. Also lost Tommy halfway through because his ride was bailing. They had a lot less drops/throwaways. And we were very tired after a big loss to the Condors. We traded most of the game. I think they went up a break late in the game. We tied it at 14s, win by two, hard at 17. Matt ended up scoring the last two points on some pretty sick plays. We win 16-14 and take 4th place out of So Cal Sectionals.

We have a huge team this year. 26 guys on our roster. I think we had 23 playing this weekend, and EVERYONE made big plays all weekend. Regionals is this coming weekend and I can't wait to have our full roster (hopefully Louis can actually make it this time, that'll be a huge pickup.) I am so excited to make some noise in Arizona. Should be an awesome weekend. And even if we don't do so well, which I doubt, it will still be a ton of fun playing with this group of guys.

Congrats to Strike-Slip for winning the open division over Streetgang. We were playing on the field next to them, and they were playing balls out all game. Linux's grab to end it was spectacular. Hopefully they'll be able to pull it off again next weekend. You know I'll be rooting for you guys.

Also congrats to Metro on winning the mixed division over BCBC on universe after blowing a lead. Better increase that margin next weekend. I want to see domination.



Pre-Regionals post once the schedule is up. I'm predicting 11 teams go and we should be the somewhere around the 6/7 seed (but I doubt we'll end the tournament there.)

No comments: