30 November 2008

SoCal Warm Up 2

Day 2:
We were relegated to the bottom pool after losing all of our games on Saturday. Also in our pool: UNLV, Pepperdine, and Redlands (read: chumps)
It was pretty obvious that we had gotten shafted on our initial Saturday seeding (our pool probably being the hardest) but at least having super easy games on Sunday would give us a chance to get our rookies quality playing time against other teams. Anyways.
First game at 9am against Pepperdine. They had two girls playing. Actually, I'm pretty sure one of their girls was better than a bunch of their guys, so go her. They only really had one handler and I stalled him.
In fact it was probably the most interesting situation I've been involved in since I started playing Ultimate. Here it is: We pull. I run down and am marking their one main handler flick. Count starts rising and he still has nothing. At 8 or 9 he takes three steps away from me and still doesn't throw it. I say 10 then up (no idea why I said up at that point, he had not thrown it.) So he is standing there 3 steps away from where he should have been and I'm in shock. I'd never seen anything like that. I call stall (after all, I had indeed reached the T of Ten.) For some reason he says no. He says I had only gotten to 8. (REALLY?!) I exclaim that I did indeed hit 10 AND on top of that, he had travelled like crazy. But whatever, this chump sucks. I'm just going to stall him again so I tell him to contest my stall. Count comes in at 8 (after I told him that he had travelled, so he had to come back to me.) Anyways, count comes in stalling 8, 9. I'm about to hit 10 again but lo and behold, he travels into me again to throw and calls foul. I swear, he was trying to bait the foul, but I was too far off, so he had to travel into me to get fouled. I contest the foul in shock. I only fouled him because he travelled into me. He says: "Yea, you probably should contest that". WTF!! This guy is a super douche. Anyways, I'm tired of this absurdity so I decide to not argue with him (I mean, really, what is the point.) So count comes in at 6 and he ends up getting the throw off at 9. Total bullshit. I think we ended up winning this game 13-2 or 13-3? After the game Mr. Douche just sat in the endzone sulking. Whatever. Not worth it.
After that game we had a 2 round bye (or so we thought) so we went to Jamba Juice. Ends up they were giving away free smoothies if you wore a banana suit. So 1 free Strawberry Wild later we get a call from KG saying that UNLV wants to play earlier so we are bumping our game up a round and playing at Muir. My car goes back to the fields to watch UCLA beat UCSB on universe (woot.) Then go to Muir fields to find that UNLV had already bailed (as had pepperdine) so we are set to play Redlands.
I think our goal going into the Redlands game was to bagel them. Then Roeder got handblocked and then scored on. Oh well. I think we won 13-3 or 13-4. Highlight of that game was a complete rookie game scoring the last point.
Went to Chipotle afterwards for the ritual burrito and beer. I still don't understand why we go to Chipotle when we go down to SD with all the actual mexican food around there, but whatever. It's still good. Took a team picture and then drove Nate, Elaine, and Hannah home. Fun time driving back.
Thats about it. Fall pre-season is over and I'm excited for our team. We are picking up two studs for next quarter that weren't able to play with us in the fall (Evan and Kobe.) And our rookie class is 4 times as big as it has ever been. This year should be a lot better than I had initially expected. Now back to Spanish homework.

3 comments:

Enway said...

I read your blog, keep updating! :)

and good thing I wasn't there at the Pepperdine game 'cuz the earrings would have come off and I would've thrown it down with that guy.

Alma said...

I put that last point against Redlands in my video.

THUNDER said...

That biotch also shoved the disc into my neck when I was marking him. >:[